Health impact assessment of airborne pollutants
- Gene expression modulation of DNA repair mechanisms into human cells in vitro exposed to organic extract of fine particulate matter.
- Evaluation of cytotoxicity induced by exposure to extracts of atmospheric particulate through the use of in vitro cell models.
- Evaluation of genotoxicity induced by exposure to extracts of particulate air pollution through the use of bacterial reverse mutation test (Ames test) and DNA damage (comet assay).
- Study of early biological effects (micronuclei and DNA damage by Comet assay) induced by air pollutants in exposed populations (Project, MAPEC - Life).
- Evaluation of genotoxic and oxidative damage of particulate matter (PM) from different emission sources and with different physical and chemical properties using Comet assay (without and with Fpg enzyme) on human cell lines (e.g. human alveolar carcinoma cells A549, lymphoblastoid cell line Jurkat cells, monocytes THP1).
- Evaluation of the expression of markers of inflammation in cell culture extracts competent induced by exposure to particulate air pollution.
Health impact assessment of pollutants in the water and / or food
- ESTROGENIC ACTIVITY evaluation, by in vitro assays, in different environmental samples: civil and industrial wastewater, subjected to different types of chemical and / or biological (based disinfection of chlorine and / or ozone and degradation by experimental of fungal enzymes) and plant foods.
- Consultancy activities in nature hygienic professional regarding the use of the parameter E. coli as an indicator of fecal contamination in the purified wastewater treatment plants of some of the company SMAT Spa in relation to what is required by Legislative Decree No. 152/2006.
- Development of methods for the detection and containment of Legionella pneumophila in water distribution systems and tap water by culture methods and molecular methods (e.g. propidium monoazide and / or ethidium monoazide-Real-Time PCR)
- Evaluation of the contamination by emerging pathogens (Campylobacter spp., E.coli O157:H7, Cryptosporidium) of water intended for human consumption.
- Evaluation of the spread of emerging pathogens (Campylobacter spp., E.coli O157:H7 and viruses) into the environment and in the population carrying out a study on depuration systems with different characteristics.
Assessment of impact on the environment and human health in the production of alternative energy
- SOFC CCHP WITH POLY-FUEL: OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE - SOFCOM: Microbic community evaluation, particularly of the methanogen and sulphate reducing bacteria, during biomasses anaerobic digestion in order to improve the quantity and quality of the produced biogas. Environment and human health impact assessment due to an integrate system for the biogas production and solid oxidize fuel cells into the waste water treatment plants.
- Green Biotechnology: applications and occupational safety. The aim of the project is the evaluation of the occupational exposure to bioareosol, fine particulate matter and endotoxins at anaerobic digestion plants for the biogas production.
- Metanoghen and clostide presence and persistance into the wastewater treatment plants using qRT-PCR methods.
- MICROBIAL FUEL CELL (MFC): Evaluation of different bacterial strains during the production of electricity in MFC, in relation to different carbon-based anode materials, different physical conditions and time (in collaboration with Italian Institute of Technology, Center for Space Human Robotics@PoliTo).
- Application of Risk Assessment for the characterization of the potential adverse effects to human health as a result of exposure to environmental pollutants in different contexts: for example, air pollutants in residential or urban contexts and recreational water dispersed pollutants in urban residential settings. Application of Risk Assessment through the use of application software such as RISC 4.1 or 1.1 software Rachel.
- Consultancy activities relating to the hygienic nature of production facilities with the presence of operators and users GTT: consulting aimed at identifying and solving complex problems of health and hygiene nature relating to the production with the presence of operators and users.
Biomarkers for human health
- Microbiologic indicator develop linked to the gut microbiome equilibrium, using biomolecular methods, into stool samples of children affected by diabetes.
- Survey on the prevalence of orthorexia nervosa, vigorexia and eating disorders in Italian students at the first year of universitary degree courses.
- Counseling and adapted physical activity as educational actions for reviewing therapeutic programs and improving the quality of life of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Survey on the prevalence of orthorexia, vigorexia and eating disorders in students of the first year of degree courses some Italian.
Molecular epidemiology and of respiratory diseases, Environmental and Occupational Health
- Oxidative stress, ageing, and respiratory diseases. A multi-centre epidemiological and genetic study on the general adult and elderly population in Italy GEIRD Study
- The environmental and biological monitoring of workers exposed to formaldehyde. The environmental and biological evaluation of the exposure and the induction of oxidative stress.
- Exposure to formaldehyde, tobacco smoke (actively and passively smoked) and other environmental (air) risk factors inducing oxidative stress in adult populations, in children, in physiological and pathological conditions, in lving and working environment. Physiological, biomolecular and metabolic aspects measured in urine, blood, nasal and buccal cells (cotinine, isoprostane, LDH, malondialdehyde/ TBARS, 8-OHdG, GSH/GSSG, malondialdehyde-deoxyguanosine - M1dG, DNA methylation, micronuclei).