Surveillance and control of Infectious Diseases
Principal Investigator (PI)/Coordinator: Prof. Carla Maria Zotti
- Prof. Carla Maria Zotti, Full Professor, Head of Research Team
- Dr. Savina Ditommaso, Technician
- Dr. Monica Giacomuzzi, Technician
- Dr. Costanza Vicentini, Medical Resident
Healthcare-associated Infections (HAIs)
- Prof. Carla Zotti is a member of the regional Working Group on HAIs and collaborates in the regional planning of the interventions of the Infectious Risk Prevention Units of Hospital and Health Local Units.The research group coordinates at regional and national level some projects related to HAIs surveillance programs (surveillance of surgical site infections SNICh; prevalence studies in acute care hospitals and Long-Term Care Facilities) and antibiotic resistance. The research group participates in the drafting/updating of steering documents for prevention (Legionellosis, non-tuberculous Mycobacteria, carbapenems-resistant Enterobacteria, TB) and participates in training activities.
- The “Serology and Microbiology applied to Hygiene” laboratory carries out environmental monitoring especially in health facilities for Legionella and non-tuberculous Mycobacteria. Moreover, typing and microbial ecology studies are carried out, analytical methods are developed and disinfection methods are tested.
Epidemiology and vaccination prevention of Infectious Diseases
For some preventable community-acquired infectious diseases, research activities are carried out on the following topics:
- Covid-19 serology following vaccination;
- Evaluation of the impact of influenza and influenza vaccination in healthcare professionals
- Implementation of communication systems in the community